The Village of Stamfordham lies on the southern hillside sloping down to the little river Pont, with a church at the west end. The Church of St.Mary was largely rebuilt in 1848 when an Anglian cross shaft was found, indicating that there had been a church on the site at an early date, probably thirteenth century. The name of Stamfordham is Old English, meaning "the homestead by the Stoney Ford".
The houses stand round a large village green, towards the western end of which stands the Market Cross, built in 1735 by Sir Edward Swinburne of Capheaton. There is one pub, The Swinburne Arms.
Stamfordham Parish is in rural Northumberland, about 12 mile west of Newcastle upon Tyne. The area covered consists of the village of Stamfordham and the hamlets of Dalton, Eachwick, Harlow Hill and Heugh, and also Albemarle Camp, together with numerous farm settlements.
There is also an excellent village school which can be visited via our "links" page.
The total number of people on the electoral roll is 734.